A Technology Detox: How It Will Improve Your Mental Wellness
Listen to this blog post
Everyone has heard about different detox plans. One type of detox that may not have come up is a technology detox.
There are probably many of you who have tried one in the past. Most likely hoping that the detox would help you reach your health and fitness goals. For those of you who may not know, a detox is an attempt to detoxify your body from all the toxic waste we put into our bodies on a daily basis. This, if effective, should help to cleanse your body and allow your body to function better and more effectively.
For the most part, a detox revolves around food. When you eat the proper type of foods it gives you benefits you want to see from a detoxification.
There are other types of detox plans you can go on, but one you may not think to do is a technology detox. We are all becoming connected in some way through technology and see and hear things that can bring a lot of negativity into our lives.
What Is A Technology Detox?
As the name suggests, a technology detox is a break from all types of technology. In this day and age, most people are constantly on their phones, computers, tablets or watching tv.
Wherever you spend most of your time when it comes to technology, the detox is a chance to:
- Completely stop watching TV.
- Put down your smartphone or turn it off and take a break from being so connected to others and social media.
- Stop using your computer or tablet for whatever the reasons are that you access these devices.
Doing a technology detox will give you the chance to disconnect and take a step back, allowing you to live life how it was before we had all this access to technologic devices.
So What Are The Benefits of A Technology Detox?
- You will likely find that your stress levels decrease. You may not be fully aware of just how much of your stress comes from using your technology devices. Not only will you notice a decrease in stress levels but this will also give you time to sit back and think. This is a great opportunity to work on anything that might be bothering you.
- Another significant benefit of this detox is time. Taking time away from technology will take away distractions. You will find that you have more time on your hands to devote yourself to other projects and more productive things you need to get done in your life.
- A huge benefit for some is that you might have some weight loss. Without these devices taking up your time you are more likely to become more active. This could lead to better health as well. You may also notice fewer headaches that constant use of these devices can cause.
So How Do You Get Started?
The first thing you will need to do is to decide on a couple of days this week that you will unplug yourself from all your technology devices. The only time you should be accessing the computer is for work-related projects or tasks.
- Try this out for at least two days, to begin with.
- After a week or two of going two days try a week of going for three days.
- Once you find yourself comfortable going three days without your devices, try going for four days.
Eventually, try to work yourself up to being able to give yourself a technology detox for a whole week once per month. You will start to see the benefits of taking this break sooner than you may think. You will likely feel less stress, find that you have more time to work on more productive things, and possibly even notice some weight loss as you become more active in other areas of your life.
Please leave a comment with your thoughts!